New from the Council (May 2014). Published in the Parishioner Magazine
Advance notice! On 19th May two annual meetings will be held at the Village Hall. Please come if you can. At 7.30pm the Annual Parish Meeting will be held (immediately prior to our next full Council meeting). This is a different meeting to the Council meeting. Here are some answers to questions you might have:
- What is the purpose of the Annual Parish Meeting? To allow registered electors to discuss parish affairs and to pass resolutions thereon. This meeting is also an opportunity for the Parish Council and community group leaders to explain their activities over the last year… so this note is perhaps a reminder for those leaders to contribute; please call the Clerk!
- Who can attend the meeting? And can I speak? Anyone may attend but only registered electors in the parish may speak and vote.
- Who will chair the meeting? The Chairman of the Parish Council is obliged to chair the meeting if present. In his absence the vice chairman must preside if present. If neither is able to attend, then the meeting will elect a chairman from those electors present.
- Will Parish Councillors be there? Although there is no compulsion, Councillors normally attend; they will speak if required, but the purpose of the meeting is to enable the ordinary electors to have their say.
- Will notes be taken of the meeting? A written record of the meeting will be taken by the Parish Clerk to keep in a special book. The rules on the signature and admissibility of minutes are the same as those for Parish Council meetings.
- How long will the meeting last? As long as need be within reason; previously meetings in Ditchingham have lasted about 30 minutes… it really depends on those present and the number of questions and the discussions that are raised.
- Will the Press be there? If they choose! The rules for press admission are the same as any Council meeting.
The Annual Parish Council Meeting: will follow immediately after the close of the Annual Parish meeting. This also is a special meeting, when contrasted with the other five Council meetings in the year. At the annual meeting the Council: elects the chairman and the vice chairman; makes other annual appointments [to committees and advisory working parties] and makes resolutions on other business matters such as insurances, risk management policies, etc.
Co-option of a new Councillor If you are over 18 and live locally, the opportunity to be co-opted as a Councillor remains. If you are interested please contact the Clerk, Sally Chapman. We will be discussing these issues at the May meeting.
Clerk: If you have any questions or concerns about ‘local issues’ please feel free to contact the Clerk, Sally Chapman on Tel: 07774 734411. Email: email@example.com. Please use the voice message service clearly stating your name; phone number; and the purpose of your enquiry. We will return your call. We are here to help. And even if we are unable to help you directly, we can try and point you in the right direction!
Julian Green Chair,
Ditchingham Parish Council